In some ways I’m starting to grow tired of the challenges. In other ways, I fear that I am going to grow stagnant if I stop doing them. So for now I shall continue to challenge myself to do something for an entire month. Maybe I’ll start coming up with weekly challenges, but I’m afraid that I’ll either run out or forget to do them. As it is, I’m having a hard time coming up with new ideas for each month, so if you have anything you think I should do, please leave a comment.
So, let’s talk exercise. For the first half of the month, I was all about the yoga. And then I quickly got tired of the fact that I needed to find an hour out of my day to accommodate the yoga video I was using on netflix. I also had a hard time exercising when The Hippy was around, and there were a couple days when I just didn’t get up early and The Hippy was home in the evening, so exercise didn’t happen.
Then I read a blog post about 5 easy exercises to add to your day–every day. Because they only take a couple minutes, you can pretty much always sneak them in. Unfortunately, I can’t remember what blog it was, so I can’t give credit where credit is due. But what I’ve added to my day is this:
- 50 leg lifts, each side. I often do these while brushing my teeth, or waiting for the microwave to beep, or waiting for water to boil or the bathtub to fill.
- 25 waist bends–I’ll be honest, I wasn’t entirely sure what a waist bend meant, so what I do is bend at my waist, try to touch my toes, and bend back up and touch my waist. I do this while doing all the “waiting” above.
- 15-20 push ups–I do cheater push ups against the edge of a counter or the bar of my oven door, again during waiting periods.
- 25 crunches–these are the ones I have the hardest time fitting it, because they’re harder to do while “waiting”. I don’t have enough floor space in my bathroom, and the kitchen floor seems like a weird place. Sometimes I do them in bed, sometimes while watching TV.
- 10+ squats into toe lifts–this is another one I like to do while brushing my teeth. Squat down, come up, stand on my toes, squat down, etc…
The fifth one was actually not specified in the original blog post–she said something about switching it up like another arm exercise or more crunches. I chose those because they are easy to do whenever. And I can do most of these behind closed doors, so I don’t have to worry about They Hippy catching me in the act.
Sure, they aren’t fat busters like kick boxing, but they are something I can make a habit of every day.
Now, onto February’s glamorous challenge. Drink 8 glasses of water or tea every day. I’m not going to super measure, but I figure two of my water bottles and 4 cups of tea should do it. To make it easier on myself, I’m going to give up my morning matcha latte with breakfast and have just plain green tea. I know I’ll get my liquid requirement from milk, but I’d rather stick with something more pure for the month of Feb. I think next month’s challenge is going to be pretty cool, too, and it doesn’t require me to do something every day, but does require me to be super creative. Stay tuned.