Three different bags and three different hours… Each one presenting their own challenges. I can’t tell you how many of these totes I’ve made. Yet, I always seem to come up with a way to be entirely inconsistant in what happens when I make them.
Let’s start with bag on on the left. Somehow decided to topstich a different distance from the edge of the strap than I usually do. The result looked… stupid, so I felt I had no choice but to tear out all 30″ of stitching. FUN! A half hour bag took me an hour, and I ended up with a headache. Great way to start out my afternoon of sewing.
The bag in the middle is actually bag three, but the lining on that one ended up being slightly bigger than the outside. I had a feeling this was the case, but I didn’t really feel like taking the time to really check or to fix it. When it got to hole stitching time, I had a yuck-fest of a messy hole (note to self, never, ever say that again). I’ve had this problem before… for some reason I always either set the bag aside never to be looked at again, or I’ve ripped out the stitching and fixed the size. Turns out I can usually (unless it’s really off) fix it from said hole without even returning the fabric. And fix I did. It’s still not 100%, and I’m feeling rather meh about the bag.
Bag two, on the right, was nearly perfect. It’s a beautiful bag, if I do say so myself (and I do). As I was topstitching, I got 9″ from my starting stitch and POOF! Out of bobbin thread. I used to swear a lot when that happens, but I’m trying to grow more Zen (especially behind the wheel, but that’s a post for another blog). I just roll with the punches now and plow forward. What stung the most about this one, however, was the fact that if I hadn’t messed up the top stitching on the previous bag, I would have had more than enough thread to successfully finish.
Two more bags to make for No Coast, and then I feel like I should start focusing on Christmas presents. Or maybe I should make some wallets for No Coast. We’ll see how I feel next week!